Facing the opponent at 45degrees is a critical part in the balintawak combat form. It confers to the combatant the following:
1. It reduces the surface area of vital targets that are exposed to the opponent. These targets include the temples, throat, groin, bony prominences, knees and feet.
2. It allows for more efficient bambooimg moves.
1. By moving towards the opponent’s peripheral field of vision, a blind siding effect is produced.
2. Enhances reach especially when associated with bambooing.
3. Allows for better bio-mechanics to generate more power in ones strikes.